Thursday, March 29, 2007

Beyond the Message: Death

I've had some good feedback from you students about going beyond the message on my last series, so I will do that again for this "Untouchables" series. The first untouchable subject that doesn't get talked alot about is death. I tried last night to help you understand that, even though it may be weird or uncomfortable to talk about it, the Bible tells us that we are wise to think about death.

Death is a natural occurrence in our lives. The Bible also tells us in Ecclesiastes that there is a season for everything – a time to be born and a time to die. Death is something that is reality for everyone – no one can escape it. We all are born and we all we die. So understanding that is natural should help ease some of the fear about death. Death is simply a part of life.

I didn't have too much time tonight to go into this, but death was not a part of God’s original design. Had Adam and Eve not sinned there would be no death. God created us for life and that life He created us for was an abundant life that centered on a relationship with Him. But we chose to rebel and sin - and with sin comes death. God didn’t design death, but death became a curse of sin. And because of our sin nature – death comes with it.

Death is a reality, but it is to remain in the hands of God and not man. Look at what Paul says should be the Christian’s position on death… "Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For me to live is Christ and to die is gain" (Philippians 1:20-21).

Isn't that a little confusing, but a powerful statement? Paul is saying I'm going to use the life God gave me for Christ! As long as I have life that means I'm living life in Christ and that is a good thing. But he also says to die is gain. Most of us are OK with the living life is Christ, but we're not so sure about death being gain. What's there to gain in the grave? Paul knew that life - true life - is gained in death. Because no longer am I living FOR Christ, but now I am living life WITH Christ! That is the gain. That was God's original design - that we would be with Him forever. That is why Paul can say death is gain.

I know that is a hard perspective to develop. God's still working on that in my life. I love life and everything that comes with it. But I want to learn to grow towards loving death. Not in some sick, twisted way... but in the Biblical perspective of longing to be with my Creator & Savior!

Where do you go with this? As Psalms says, you'd be wise to think about death. Where will you spend eternity? Where will your family and friends spend eternity? If you need help answering that question - I'd love to talk to you more on this topic!

No comments: