Thursday, March 8, 2007

God-sized Dreams & God's Promise

“You meant to hurt me, but God turned your evil into good…” (Genesis 50:20). I heard this verse today at this student ministry conference I’m attending here in Orlando. At first it was somewhat in passing – just a glimpse into the end of Joseph’s life, but then I really began to think about that promise. A similar sentiment is echoed in the New Testament in Romans 8:28, “We know that in everything God works for the good of those who love Him. They are the people He called, because that was His plan.” In my life there are times I really believe that promise. Unfortunately there are times I really don’t. I find it easier to crawl into my cave and dwell on any situation or circumstance that isn’t working out the way I’d hoped.

I think I like Joseph so much because he was a great dreamer. He probably crossed the line with his dreams and vision at times into cockiness and self-reliance, but he had extraordinary faith and a great hope that God would powerfully use Him. I am challenged by His life in looking at how shallow and simple my dreams can be… or worse that I don’t dream. I am reminded of the great question, “What would you attempt for God if you knew you couldn’t fail?” Sometimes I have a hard time answering that. I’m praying for God to give me big dreams. To be willing to attempt something so big that it is doomed to fail should God not step in.

My life yielded to God says, “Here I am. I’m ready. I’m available. The good. The bad. I know it all can be used by You for Your glory and renown.” That’s the desire of my heart.

No comments: