Sunday, July 12, 2009

Elevate: Day 3

HIgh School Camp has been a definite change for me this year with my increased responsibilities being the director of Elevate Camp 2009. I've been quite a bit more removed from our students' lives as I've had to manage the behind the scenes and day to day operations of the camp. But this gives me a great chance to brag on the Wildwood student staffers that are serving as counselors this week to our students. They have done an awesome job leading in my absence but also in investing in the lives of our students this week!

God has been actively challenging us through Brent's messages each night regarding our idols - not the little statues, but rather the many things in our lives that take our time, energy, attention and even top priority away from Christ. As Brent shared - the antithesis of Christianity isn't atheism, but idolatry. He also shared that most of our pursuits can generally be "good" things, but they become idols when we elevate them to "God" things. So we are all trying to examine our hearts this week in our time alone with God and family group time.

It's been cool having our own Adam & Teri Hill lead us in worship and today was no exception. For our Sunday morning worship, we loaded all 300+ at camp and headed into downtown Chattanooga to worship outside on the riverbank at Coolidge Park. This was a logistically challenging, but rewarding experience to worship out loud downtown! God held off the rain just long enough for Trey to finish sharing about how we find our strength and identity in Christ.

We took it easy this afternoon and didn't venture off campus for any excursions, but tomorrow is our big Whitewater rafting day on the Ocoee River. I apologize for not being about to upload any pictures tonight, but I've had to fly back to Tallahassee to preach in the morning at a funeral and will fly back tomorrow afternoon to rejoin camp. Please pray for me, but also continue to pray for our students and leaders that God would continue to shake us up spiritually! I'll do my best to catch up on some pics tomorrow night!

No comments: