Tuesday, September 23, 2008

God Change Things? God Change Me!

I had the awesome opportunity to preach at Cru (Campus Crusade @ FSU) tonight. I am always grateful for the chance to preach the Word, but I'm always encouraged speaking to this generation of college students. Most that are following Christ, are doing so with a hunger to be different and make an impact and desire for God's name and renown to go to the ends of the earth.

God has really been challenging me with the notion of desiring God to change things rather than changing me. Too often I'm looking at circumstances, pain, temptation and my surroundings and looking for those to change rather than asking God to change me through them. Too often I think we are always looking to God for answers rather than just knowing and resting in the fact that He is the answer. I've been challenged to start praying God change me instead of God change things.

I have a desire to be consumed and thus satisfied with Christ. He is my sufficiency and portion forever. It must become less about what He offers or even where He is taking me and just more about Him.

A story I read this week really hit home. It is the story of Dr. John Kavanaugh’s visit to Mother Teresa’s “house for the dying” in Calcutta, India. Kavanauh had traveled half way around the world seeking a clear answer on the direction his life should take. He met Mother Teresa, and she asked what she could do for him. He asked her to pray for him that he might have clarity. Mother Teresa responded firmly, “No, I will not do that”. Surprised by her quick denial, he asked her why. “Clarity is the last thing you are clinging to and must let go of,” she said. Kavanaugh looked at her and responded that she always seemed to have clarity about her purpose and mission. Mother Teresa laughed and said, “I never had clarity; what I have always had is trust. So I will pray that you trust God!”

If you choose to walk with God, you may not find the clarity that you seek about your future, your dreams, or even any decisions you need to make... and you don’t get to be in control either! But what He offers is a relationship with His Son and our Savior. A life changing relationship where He is at work molding us and shaping us into His image. I pray my heart would find satisfaction in no other and my life would be consumed in knowing Him, loving Him and making Him known. Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments: