Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Where were you?


I couldn't help but reflect on the events of today that changed our world just six years ago. It's hard to believe it was that long ago. I was sitting in Christian Theology II at Beeson Divinity School when our class was interrupted by someone trying to bring us news of some sort of tragedy, but without really knowing what was happening. Class immediately was ended as we all gathered in The Commons around a TV to figure out what was happening and to pray.

I don't have alot to say about the 9/11 itself and I don't really want to dive into the "politics" of it all - which sadly, I think that incredible tragedy has merely turned into.

But I do remember the age-old question of "Why would God allow such evil?" being raised by alot of my students at the time. I remember church being packed out literally wall to wall the next few Sundays. I remember the feelings of fear, hurt, sadness and the nervousness of waiting to hear if my NY relatives were safe.

The more I think about it all, the more I long for home... not here on earth, but the real home I was created to enjoy. "But we are citizens of heaven, where the Lord Jesus Christ lives. And we are eagerly waiting for him to return as our Savior. He will take these weak mortal bodies of ours and change them into glorious bodies like his own, using the same mighty power that he will use to conquer everything, everywhere" (Philippians 3:20-21).

No comments: