Monday, April 9, 2007

Three Days Later He Rose!

Some of you are guessing the title of this post refers to the line in the song I sang on Easter. I guess that is partially correct. I enjoyed singing, but after singing for multiple rehearsals and three times on Sunday morning it becomes difficult to get the song out of your head. Not trying to knock on David Phelps, but as one of my students said, "That song sounds like 'Hotel California' with different words." Pretty funny observation about the guitar riffs in the song.

It was a remarkable Easter. Not that all Easters aren't spectacular in the life of a Christian and I guess technically in the life of a Christian every day is Easter (or we should live it that way). But I'm amazed that in my life I tend to minimize the resurrection. I love the crucifixion - not in a sick way - but with the understanding that is where my life began, where my sins were forgiven and my eternity sealed. I think the cross deserves the recognition and allegiance I attempt to give it.


But since the resurrection was so 'miraculous' I tend not to know what to do with it. I understand the importance that the Savior we serve isn't dead, but lives to make intercession for us. And that we will see Him face to face one day. But I was challenged Sunday with the question of "What do we do with the resurrection?" Meaning, it has to be more than just a historical truth - more than just a miracle.

"I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead" (Philippians 3:10-11). There it is. That is what the resurrection must mean to me. What a powerful statement Paul makes. That to really know Christ it comes through knowing Him from Maundy Thursday to Good Friday, but we don't stop there. We have to experience the power of Easter Sunday. Because three days later He rose!

No comments: