Sunday, December 11, 2011

beauty

But the basic reality of God is plain enough. Open your eyes and there it is! By taking a long and thoughtful look at what God has created, people have always been able to see what their eyes as such can't see: eternal power, for instance, and the mystery of his divine being. So nobody has a good excuse. (Romans 1:19-20 MSG)

I'm always amazed at the sheer physical beauty of the country of Nicaragua every time that I'm here. Volcanoes, craters, Lake Nicaragua, the beautiful countryside of mountains and valleys, the waves of the Pacific crashing on the dark sand beaches and sitting on the third floor with a cool breeze watching a thunderstorm roll in over the mountains. The list could go on and on.

But the beauty is marred. It's stained by sin. We've lost Eden. That's also easy to see as you drive around. The beautiful view literally littered by trash. Discarded items mixed in with the seashells. And I imagine to those who call Nicaragua home, all of this is seen and yet hardly garners a passing thought. But for some reason, God has pressed it into my heart all day today.

This Lord's Day started by joining my brothers and sisters in Christ at Verbo Church. I love how physically, passionately and jubilantly they sing and worship. Of course, fist pump guy was leading the charge, but young and old are fully engaged. I love to sing with them in Spanish (when it's a slow enough song that my Spanish can keep up). The message was solid and I left with a full heart. All the while thinking... people from every tribe, tongue and nation are lifting up praise and honor to God. I can only imagine what that sounds like in Heaven. And then can only imagine what it will be like to participate in that in Heaven one day.
What a day that will be, when my Jesus I shall see. When I look upon His face, the one who saved me by His grace. When He takes me by the hand, and leads me to the Promised Land. What a day, glorious day that will be!
Eden as it is meant to be. True beauty. No more sickness, pain or death. No more trash or garbage dumps. No one who walks around there will be blinded to the beauty. What our eyes see dimly now, we will behold in full glory. And that's what our current creation does. It cries out, "Look at my Creator." There is a greater beauty than what can be seen with earthly eyes!

The beach actually had some people there today. Most times I've been out there it is usually just our team. So it gave me a moment (after some failed attempts at surfing) to watch as some walked up and down the beach. Do they see what I see? Do they know what I know? Can they look around as the mighty waves of the Pacific pound the volcanic sands on the shore and exclaim, "There is a God!"

Earlier in the first chapter of Romans, Paul says, "I am proud of the good news! It is God's powerful way of saving all people who have faith, whether they are Jews or Gentiles. The good news tells how God accepts everyone who has faith, but only those who have faith." (vs. 16-17)

May we add our voice to the song of creation, boldly and proudly proclaiming the powerful saving message of the Good News of Jesus Christ. There is beauty here... He is the Beautiful One... and His name is Jesus!

No comments: