Sunday, April 18, 2010

Med Mission Nica: Day 2

It will definitely be hard to put today into words. Sundays are great days down here in Nicaragua. It is always so amazing to have our perception and understanding of worship expanded by worshipping in a global context. We started our day of worship at Verbo Church. This is the Buzbees' church and shares some similarities with what we are "used" to. Many of the songs we sang today, we knew the English version and then Elizabeth even translated the sermon for us which was a blessing. After church we had the Buzbees join us for our Sunday lunch and had a great time sharing together. A good bit of our team are 'veterans' or have connections to the Buzbees, so our time with them is always treasured.

No trip to Nicaragua would be complete without the trek over to Wimby's Market. Anything you could think of is for sale there and they are ready to bargain. This team was spared my annual tour of the 'meat' section, though. We did have to make it a quick trip so some of the team could make it out to church in Los Cedros.

Brooke, Kathy, Buddy, Lil and myself made the trip down to Los Cedros for church. Los Cedros is a community near and dear to the Wildwood teams as we have built three homes there, taken the children to Campo Alegria and also worked in construction on the Christian school. Pastor Manuel and his wife have also become dear friends and partners in the ministry.

I was given the opportunity to preach tonight and really felt like the Holy Spirit had spoken to me in my quiet time this morning and so it seemed like He was preparing me for something - and then found out later that it would turn into a message. The worship service is so different in Los Cedros. It's not modern, no A/C, no words on the screen or other amenities, yet the people worship with passion! Nearly all have walked to church in the heat and work up quite a sweat in their passionate worship which lasts over two hours. I wonder each year if I found myself in that situation if I would make the effort to go to church.

After I preached, we invited anyone down for prayer. Our team came forward and we prayed individually for about 25 people. It was a powerful time of ministry and the Holy Spirit was palpable. God really challenged my heart during that time and I felt Him calling me to a greater ministry of prayer. I'm not sure what that will look like, but am trusting Him on that one!

We hit the road early tomorrow for what will be our first day of clinics. We will be heading down to Los Cedros for our first clinic day. Please be praying for our team that we would have the opportunity to minister physical and spiritual healing!

PS - if you are reading this on Facebook - head to toddveleber.blogspot.com to check out pics. You can also follow us in real time at twitter.com/wwoutreach.

No comments: